Doomsday Minister Harold Camping Dies

Started by SGOS, December 17, 2013, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "leo"I can't believe millions of Christians believe in this rapture horseshit.

Yep, and you can make money out of it.

Gerard

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Gerard"They're gonna rapture people one by one? Now where's the fun in that?
It has a theatrical value that offers tension to increase the drama.  You get watch others being raptured, while you wait your turn and start to worry.  <zoom> There goes Ron; <swoosh>There goes Irene,  OMG, maybe I won't get to go. Look at Frankie over there.  He doesn't have a snowball's chance. <zip>  Holy shit.  There goes Frankie.  Maybe, I didn't understand the rules.  How come I'm not being picked?  Crap!  This is just like grade school.  No one wants me on their team.

Yes you're right I suppose. That would be excruciatingly entertaining. But whatever, I'm not going to buy me a rapture hatch just now....

Gerard

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "leo"I can't believe millions of Christians believe in this rapture horseshit.

[ Image ]
Phenomenal cosmic power! -thwarted by a simple wooden roof.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"

[ Image ]

It's the same phenomenal cosmic power that talked like a burning bush, wrote the 10 commendments on a stone tablet, and told Adam not to eat the forbidden fruit. He's quite a character. Mind you, the Jews were honing their story-telling skills so that one day they would buy a shit piece of land in Hollywood and mesmerized the whole world in the film industry.  :twisted:

FrankDK

>  Why sell all of your belongings before the rapture? Do you lose your material possessions except for your money during the rapture?

In Matthew 19:21, Jesus is quoted as saying, "Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor."  It is the one unequivocal answer to the question "What must I do to follow you (i.e., Jesus)" in the Bible.  If people really believe the end is near, naturally they would do that.  Of course, the vast majority of Christians don't, demonstrating their hypocrisy.

Frank

Gerard

[ Image ]

My roof is of solid concrete. I'll probably be squashed when the time comes..... The rapture will hurt me badly! Ruptured rather than raptured...

Gerard

SGOS

Quote from: "FrankDK">  Why sell all of your belongings before the rapture? Do you lose your material possessions except for your money during the rapture?

In Matthew 19:21, Jesus is quoted as saying, "Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor."  It is the one unequivocal answer to the question "What must I do to follow you (i.e., Jesus)" in the Bible.  If people really believe the end is near, naturally they would do that.  Of course, the vast majority of Christians don't, demonstrating their hypocrisy.

Frank
OK, but after the rapture, the poor can't use the money.  And the poor, if they are good Christians, should have given their money to the less poor.  Essentially, everyone has to give away their stuff, but no one else would have any use for it. :-D  Holy potlatch, Batman!

gussy

Don't these deaths happen in threes?  We had Paul Crouch followed by Harold Camping.  I'm hoping Pat Robertson joins them but I would settle for Billy Graham.

pioteir

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "PickelledEggs"They started rapturing people one at a time? I thought it was supposed to be a big group thing.
Bandwidth cap. St. Peter's a cheap bastard.
Bandwidth issues eh? That must be why it even took their lord and savior 3 days to respawn. That's more lag than dial-up

He didn't quite respawn I think. He seems to be in "spectator mode" for now. U know hovering over other players, going through walls, looking for a perfect spot to snipe us...

Also I don't think the rapture was meant to take us all at the same time, I think it was more like in the movie "Knowing" with Nic Cage... First one guy gets raptured, then a Boeing 737 full of people gets raptured and after some time and a helluva lot of prophecies it's time for EE (everyone else - if u didn't see the film).
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

FrankDK

> OK, but after the rapture, the poor can't use the money. And the poor, if they are good Christians, should have given their money to the less poor. Essentially, everyone has to give away their stuff, but no one else would have any use for it. :-D Holy potlatch, Batman!

You've pointed out the fallacy in the whole bit.  These people aren't selling their stuff and giving the money away to help the poor.  If that were their motive, they would have done that long ago, not moments before they expect the rapture.  They are simply trying to buy their way into heaven.

Frank

leo

Quote from: "gussy"Don't these deaths happen in threes?  We had Paul Crouch followed by Harold Camping.  I'm hoping Pat Robertson joins them but I would settle for Billy Graham.
Too bad this clowns will not pay the consequences of their actions.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Hydra009

I have mixed feelings about it all.  I feel sort of bad that he died, like I would for any other human being, with the exceptions of mass murderers, rapists, and marketers.  But on the other hand, he was a manipulative idiot who needlessly scared a lot of people.  But on yet another hand, those people were also idiots, so who's really to blame?

I really do think that this Rapture stuff should be ridiculed relentlessly.  These aren't just wrong beliefs.  They're wrong and dangerous beliefs.  These are the sorts of beliefs that should immediately provoke laughter and incredulity from the populace, not respect and credulity.  That's the only way to kill it - for people to not feed into these apocalyptic crazes in the first place.

You know how people say live every day like it's the last?  Well, we've seen exactly what happens when people truly believe that, and it's not pretty.  One guy spent practically every dollar he ever made advertising for the rapture and it ruined him.  I say live every day like there are many more to come.  Spend wisely.  Plan for the future.  Be a responsible person, not a lunatic.

/soapbox

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Hydra009"I really do think that this Rapture stuff should be ridiculed relentlessly.
I think all views should be open to ridicule. If a viewpoint is difficult to ridicule accurately then it is probably worth standing up and taking notice of it.

Good-natured ridicule tends to be honest criticism.

The fact that this stuff is such an easy target for ridicule shows how truly crazy it is.

Those who seek to oppress those who might ridicule them know that they are most open to criticism deep down.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Gerard"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Yep, and you can make money out of it.

[ Image ]

My roof is of solid concrete. I'll probably be squashed when the time comes..... The rapture will hurt me badly! Ruptured rather than raptured...

Gerard

And to think that with just a few euros you could spare yourself all that pain... :P

Solitary

I'd rather rule in hell than serve in heaven. I mean come on, how smart do you have to be as an adult to know organized religion is a scam, or if you are willing to kill or be killed for your beliefs you are a lunatic when there is not a shred of reliable evidence for your belief but a 2,000+ year old ambiguous book of nonsense with a talking serpent, donkeys, and a burning bush with the same name we had for a president, and the same kind of idiots believing it was true too?  :shock:  :roll:  #-o   :Hangman:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.