News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why not go all the way?

Started by PickelledEggs, June 22, 2014, 12:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

A friend of mine asked a really great question directed at theists:

QuoteIf a Christian agrees with the scientific theory of evolution that would make the story of Adam and Eve just a silly story for them. But if they also believe that the Jesus of the bible was real then what was the point of his existence if Adam and Eve never existed and where would sin fit in? No sin, no Jesus?

Of course, the nonbelievers on here already know it's silly to believe in any of the christian story, but I thought I'd share because I thought it was a good question for theists.

the_antithesis

stromboli

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 01:02:47 PM
Cognitive dissonance.
Yeah. I get that, but when I ask people about what they believe in person (not the fundies, the more casual believers) its like they don't even know what they believe. I understand that a fundie can have cognitive dissonance. But when someone can't even explain what they believe, that is what confuses me.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Obviously they don't want Godless-AIDS.

Sent from Monster Island. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 22, 2014, 01:09:41 PM
Yeah. I get that, but when I ask people about what they believe in person (not the fundies, the more casual believers) its like they don't even know what they believe. I understand that a fundie can have cognitive dissonance. But when someone can't even explain what they believe, that is what confuses me.

Put it simply, they don't want to make the decision. I could've lived my life as a Mormon but didn't because my personality is not one to live a lie. but I know several that do, simply because it is easier than making a choice. It isn't even Pascal's Wager, it is just following the path of least resistance.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on June 22, 2014, 01:36:41 PM
Put it simply, they don't want to make the decision. I could've lived my life as a Mormon but didn't because my personality is not one to live a lie. but I know several that do, simply because it is easier than making a choice. It isn't even Pascal's Wager, it is just following the path of least resistance.
OK. Yeah. That makes sense

Sent from your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

Or..... Actual thought and reason is not a requirement. Just nod your head and praise Jayzez..  :pray: :pray:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 22, 2014, 01:39:09 PM
OK. Yeah. That makes sense

Sent from your mom

Explain that to claytojar. He thinks adhering to the status quo is bold and brave.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on June 23, 2014, 03:20:59 PM
Explain that to claytojar. He thinks adhering to the status quo is bold and brave.
clay to jar's head is a jar full of clay.

Sent from your mom

Jagare

What does this thread have to do with "going all the way"?

Anyway, regarding no sin - no jesus. 
Isn't the old adage:  "If I don't sin, poor old Jesus died for nothin."

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jagare on June 30, 2014, 08:38:29 PM
What does this thread have to do with "going all the way"?

Anyway, regarding no sin - no jesus. 
Isn't the old adage:  "If I don't sin, poor old Jesus died for nothin."
Without Adam and Eve, there is no original sin. Without original sin, there is no sin you can commit in the first place.

in other words, jesus is there to forgive you for the sins that adam and eve handed down to you.

Jagare

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 30, 2014, 08:47:27 PM
Without Adam and Eve, there is no original sin. Without original sin, there is no sin you can commit in the first place.

in other words, jesus is there to forgive you for the sins that adam and eve handed down to you.

What christian doesn't believe in Adam and Eve?  I've never met one.
Still unsure what "Why not go all the way?" means ???

Aroura33

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 22, 2014, 12:34:05 PM
A friend of mine asked a really great question directed at theists:

Of course, the nonbelievers on here already know it's silly to believe in any of the christian story, but I thought I'd share because I thought it was a good question for theists.

Actually, you are all missing something here.  Every Catholic I know of believes that Adam and Eve were real, and so is evolution.  This is one of the "god of the gaps" things they do.  We are all familiar with the theistic apologetic notion that every fossil found just created 2 gaps instead of filling one.  Since it is impossible to have every intermediary fossil between our ancestors and ourselves, there is always room for Adam and Eve.

As it was explained to me when I asked this question as a teenager, what happened is evolution took place up to a certain point, then God twiddled his fingers and took the "not quite human" ancestor and made the first "modern" humans in one magical evolutionary leap. Tada!  Adam and Eve.   

So there you go.  It is a sort of cognative dissidence, but not quite what you guys seemed to be explaining.  It's more like a partial misunderstanding of how evolution works. 

At any rate, just thought I'd put that out there.  Accepting evolution does not require them to reject Adam and Eve.  And really, I don't mind the theists who don't deny science so much.  I know I know, the moderates always support the infrastructure to create extremists, but still.  Every single person who accepts evolution (and vaccines, and global climate change) should be patted on the back and considered our allies, IMO.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy