News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 07, 2024, 12:42:39 PMApperantly, that quote is belonged to someone else. Can't remember the name. An American journalist I think.
Clarence Darrow
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

You're right, I should have googled. 🫣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

This ... "google" ...  you speak of ...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 07, 2024, 04:07:11 PMIt's a new kind of cookie. 🤣

What kind of cookie are we talking about here? A required cookie, a functional cookie, or a tracking cookie?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Unbeliever

A chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.
God Not Found

the_antithesis

Chocolate chips in oatmeal?

You monster!

Unbeliever

Well, to quote Jean Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, "I know."
🤣
God Not Found

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 06, 2024, 10:01:28 AM
What a moron if he thinks this solid proof of his own idiocy deserves a rebuttal.

After 5 years of retirement, my old company contacted me and said they are having difficulty finding capable engineers. No shit. We were clever back in the day and it seems these coddled kids can't figure out how it all works, even with reams of documentation.

"We can really use you". Sure, a couple hundred thou a year would be nice, but so is everyday being like Sunday. Time, post 60 is worth more than a chest of gold.

Gawdzilla Sama

Yep. Being 73 means "I don't care what your crisis is."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Cassia on Today at 08:00:25 AMWhat a moron if he thinks this solid proof of his own idiocy deserves a rebuttal.

After 5 years of retirement, my old company contacted me and said they are having difficulty finding capable engineers. No shit. We were clever back in the day and it seems these coddled kids can't figure out how it all works, even with reams of documentation.

I work for a tribally owned 8a. I was the tribe's first paid employee back in 2006. The tribe owns several companies that do different kinds of work. 100% government contracts. There are about 200 employees across all the companies now. I'm the general manager of the largest one. About 120 of the employees work for me. About 75% of those employees do weather observation and forecasting. I don't have a lot of direct responsibilities with that work. We have a director of weather services, and 3 program managers. One each for the army, navy, and airforce. Each individual weather contract has a project manager. 

I wear a lot of hats though. In the GM capacity I deal with the SBA, and manage the back office functions. Most of the rest of our contracts are involved in the army's industrial base modernization program. We have carved out a niche for ourselves in this area providing and installing equipment, and doing the utilities distribution. This includes everything from work benches to multimillion dollar CNC stuff by way of workpiece positioners that handle thousands of lbs for assembly and disassembly, NDT lines, automated cleaning lines, clean rooms, and paint shops.

I'm the program manager for this kind of work. I manage the customer and vendor relationships. I also do most of the proposal writing in this area including pricing. We currently have 8 different contracts in this area worth about $85 million. One ends this year. 6 have about a year and half to go. The last one about 2 and half. We are expecting another $15 million contract by October. Then another $30-$50 million effort in about 2 years. I'm always looking for new opportunities in this area. 

I do the project management for all these type of contracts. There is a metric shit ton of documentation involved. The equipment manufacturers do their own manuals, but I do most of the rest of it. Safety plans, test and installation plans, OPSEC plans, and employee training tracking to name a few of the deliverables.

Oh, and I'm the de facto IT/IT security officer for the whole org because I'm the only member of management that knows shit about IT.

I'm 62 now, and I have been not so subtly hinting for the last year that I won't be here forever. The wife is going to retire after next school year. I'll be done somewhere between 65 and 67. They finally got the hint, and I had a meeting with ownership last month about a path forward. It is going to involve training one of the tribal members that has worked here in a variety of different positions over the last 7 or 8 years to be the GM, hiring a new program manager from outside about 2-years from now, bringing up a couple of our field engineers for project management, and one of the existing sys admins for IT. So the plan is to replace me with 5 people.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Dark Lightning

^ Funny, when I retired the company had to bring 3 people in to do my work. The company didn't mind, as they can charge the gov for each head.
#Notafunnypicture