The Eggplant Emoji Is The Next Frontline Of Online Harassment

Started by mauricio, October 08, 2015, 05:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on October 10, 2015, 12:48:12 AM
By all means do so. I deserve it because it is not nice to upset people who are handicapped even if it was an accident.

Indeed now when we finally get the UN to listen to our petty whining we shall get the misogynistic spergs that inhabit the internert and harass a person in another country other than their own over the internet prosecuted in their own. I would like that. The scum that inhabit 4chan would crawl back to whatever basement they came from.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: mauricio on October 10, 2015, 12:51:19 AM
Indeed now when we finally get the UN to listen to our petty whining we shall get the misogynistic spergs that inhabit the internert and harass a person in another country other than their own over the internet prosecuted in their own. I would like that. The scum that inhabit 4chan would crawl back to whatever basement they came from.

Sorry but addressing the issue of people making death and rape threats over the internet is not petty whining.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Hydra009

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from work.

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 09, 2015, 04:27:40 PMI don't think anyone can claim things like child marriage and female genital mutilation and lack of suffrage and maternity care for women in the third world isn't bad. But to pretend like sexism in Western countries isn't an issue because much worse stuff happens in Yemen or the DCR definitely deserves one of these:
After posting that image, I worried that it might be taken that way, but figured most people wouldn't interpret it like that and quickly dismissed it as an irrational fear.  And yet, here we are.  I could have probably saved you some time if you had simply asked what I meant by that image or for clarification before posting a detailed refutation of a position that I do not hold.

My point isn't to dismiss sexism in the west by pointing to worse sexism in the mideast.  My point was that drumming up non-issues like this - allegedly fighting on behalf of women - seem perverse when there is still plenty of real sexism against women to combat.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 10, 2015, 01:19:23 AM
Sorry for the late reply, just got back from work.
After posting that image, I worried that it might be taken that way, but figured most people wouldn't interpret it like that and quickly dismissed it as an irrational fear.  And yet, here we are.  I could have probably saved you some time if you had simply asked what I meant by that image or for clarification before posting a detailed refutation of a position that I do not hold.

Coming from you, I actually didn't take it that way, but I imagined other people here would. I guess in a way I should have made my post more clear that I didn't think you were the sort of person who would tell women to quit whining because it could always be worse.

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 10, 2015, 01:19:23 AMMy point isn't to dismiss sexism in the west by pointing to worse sexism in the mideast.  My point was that drumming up non-issues like this - allegedly fighting on behalf of women - seem perverse when there is still plenty of real sexism against women to combat.
That's what I tried to explain at the end but I don't think I did the best job of doing it. When it's contained to the West alone even I still think there are problems. Our maternity laws are awful, there are still some pay gaps (though they're closing), and women aren't well-represented in government. And yet you're right, people are getting mad about an eggplant emoji and it makes no sense. If that's the hill that people are choosing to fight on, nothing will ever change.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

This is really just a 21st century Candid Camera, right?  Some of you are actually talking out a script?  Jim Cary is going to jump out of my closet any moment!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.