The Hallowe'en 2020 Scary Thread

Started by Cassia, September 14, 2020, 10:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cassia

Mr.Obvious, you have a great skill. I would say it is an ability to tap into and express the primal fears inherent from our evolutionary development. I think that being "unspiritual" and a skeptic allows one to more easily explore and enjoy the rush from these primordial instincts.

I also think that the Hallowe'en festival, like many darker themed childhood nursery rhymes are a subconscious methods to teach and warn the young without too much trepidation, that entropy will win out. Ashes to ashes, we all fall down.

I also love the vintage Hallowe'en imagery before the massive commercialization occurred. Note how the messages are clearly lessons/warnings.

Mr.Obvious

Thank you so much for that compliment! :)

I'll post a poem I wrote a good few years back. Posted it in the poetry thread way back when too.

A night of masked horrors

Once a year fake fears and plastic pretence
decorate, demonize and destroy my halls,
even silicone spiders, I spared no expense
in cobwebbing my beautiful concrete walls.
For during one spin around our very core
in every spin around the light of our lives
we mock our despair, fear and more
via boundless satire in a night of guise.

Dread does disappear in these darker days
which teach us to put things in perspective.
We at last leave the daily minotaur’s maze
and due desperation of the grey collective.
We leave duties and mortgages behind,
for who can care about such trivial dangers
when ghouls at every corner you find
and children accept candy from strangers.

This year I might become a vicious vampire
and leech life lost to claw from the undead.
Perhaps a zombie would make for great satire
if I didn’t think it might be utterly misread.
For one night let’s join nightmares and scare
and roar in laughter at each other’s costume.
Let’s transcend monstrous mankind with flair
to bask in joy for our meaningless daily gloom.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

@Cassia - Being irreligious opens you up to demonic influences ;-)  Scratch an atheist, find a pagan underneath.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cassia

Quote from: Baruch on September 18, 2020, 09:29:10 AM
@Cassia - Being irreligious opens you up to demonic influences ;-)  Scratch an atheist, find a pagan underneath.
I would give Satan a chance in bed... he has to be pretty good, right? Know a few tricks he picked up from his clients and all. Jesus wouldn't even know where to start plus he has no sense of humour. Long-haired Hercules would be my first choice for sure.

Cassia

You nailed it Mr.Obvious. In summary....

For one night let’s join nightmares and scare
and roar in laughter at each other’s costume.
Let’s transcend monstrous mankind with flair
to bask in joy for our meaningless daily gloom.

And this year, that irreligious eve happens on a weekend's full moon as the clock falls back...and our mortal enemy smaller than the eyeglass can see....lives on inside us.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on September 18, 2020, 09:54:53 AM
I would give Satan a chance in bed... he has to be pretty good, right? Know a few tricks he picked up from his clients and all. Jesus wouldn't even know where to start plus he has no sense of humour. Long-haired Hercules would be my first choice for sure.

Gnostic Jesus was into young men so probably not interested in you ;-)  Long haired men  … is your real name Delilah?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Cassia

Draconic Aiur, those were so strange and awesome. Being an occasional insomniac I know about the effects of sleep depravity, but after a concussion I was kept awake and it was getting really crazy. 

I did look into "plague doctors" a bit and wow, had no idea of all that history. Before the real John Snow, that is. Fascinating..."night air" and Nostradamus. I did know that crows get a bad rap to this day because they go right for the delicious eyes of the still warm victims.

The thing about the current plague that is strange... is how it claims the elderly. Having lots of elderly around is a relatively new thing. Natural selection doesn't need old folks to succeed..

Baruch

Evolutionary biology says people get longer lived, with longer childhood … in the long term.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 15, 2020, 03:59:02 AM
While I'm looking at the pic Hydra posted this is what happened in matter of seconds. I'm sure something's going to change in the pic or something will move forward. I notice a small shadow on the slightly upper left side. Something blurry is standing on the road in there. I try to get ready for the image -I'm so sure some thing will happen- and I notice the shadow is moving down! I keep looking and looking... It's just little DUST on my screen!
But did you notice the "taillights" are

not on the road?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

The master of the short horror story....Lovecraft's own life story is well.....kinda scary. I also read plenty from Ray Bradbury..

“October Country . . . that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and mid-nights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain. . . .”

― Ray Bradbury, The October Country

Gawdzilla Sama

Tuesday, November 3
United States Presidential election, 2020
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Not much scares me these days, when I put it in to perspective that Trump could be re-elected. Nothing really is scarier than that